Guest Engagement Ambassadors
Guest Engagement Ambassadors play an important role in advancing the Zoo’s mission of “creating unforgettable natural connections.” They enhance the guest experiences by engaging and educating visitors of all ages. Our Guest Engagement Ambassadors support Zoo-wide Conservation Stations, act as exhibit interpreters, use biofacts to engage guests, and answer visitor questions.
- Guest Engagement Ambassadors will complete training and shadowing sessions that cover interpretation, conservation, biology and ecology.
- By the completion of your training, demonstrate the ability to enhance guest experiences through accurate and engaging interpretation throughout the Zoo.
- Commit to 96 hours annually, with 8 hours a month, of educational volunteering.
- Successfully complete programs and assignments.
Volunteers must be:
- 18 years or older.
- Enthusiastic and passionate about animals and conservation.
- Reliable, hardworking and possess strong leadership skills.
- Willing and able to regularly and positively engage guests in the park in support of our mission.
- Able to successfully pass a background check and drug screening.
Application Process & Details
- Applications are currently closed. Please join our waiting list to be notified when applications open.
- A representative of ZooTampa at Lowry Park will contact those who have applied and invite candidates to attend a mandatory Group Interview Session.
- Approved candidates will undergo a background check at their own expense. The cost for this is typically $25.00, but some jurisdictions may charge additional fees.
- Upon final acceptance into the Program, a non-refundable fee of $25.00 is assessed to cover a uniform, name badge, and training materials. Thereafter, the Program carries an annual dues requirement of $15 annually to offset program support costs.
- If the fees associated with participation will cause you financial hardship, you may ask to be considered for sponsorship. Please contact Arinn Bolin for details.
Join our dive team! This challenging but rewarding position offers certified divers an opportunity not available to most divers and is highly competitive. ZooTampa volunteer divers assist with animal care by diving and snorkeling for habitat maintenance and performing other dive support tasks in the Aquatics and Manatee Critical Care Center, and other select areas of the zoo. Dive volunteers play a critical role in promoting the zoo’s mission of “creating unforgettable natural connections” by cleaning habitats and engaging with guests regarding the animals in our care, the dive program, and zoo research and conservation efforts.
Application Process & Details
- Submit your application online.
- Upload a copy of your certificates.
- Attend an informational session. (A ZooTampa representative will reach out to qualified applicants with details.)
- Conditional selection for the dive team will be communicated within two weeks of the interview session. Selected candidates will schedule a background check and dive physical.
- Upon clearance of these items, volunteer divers will be scheduled for training. Divers must attend and pass all training sessions prior to final acceptance into the program.
- Be 18 years or older.
- Be able to commit to 2 4-hour shifts each month for at least a year.
- Show proof of open water or higher certification from a recognized training agency and have 25 logged open water dives.
- Be enthusiastic and passionate about animals and conservation.
- Be reliable, hardworking and possess strong leadership skills.
- Be able to lift up to 30 pounds and work in the outdoor Florida environment.
- Be willing and able to regularly and positively engage guests in the park in support of our mission.
- Successfully complete background screening.
- Demonstrate an attitude of commitment to safe diving practices at all times.
- Be able to pass a background check and an AAUS dive physical (at own cost).
- Provide proof of health insurance and sign a liability release.
- Be able to attend all training sessions and pass a swim test, written exam, and all elements of the ZooTampa dive training program.