Helpful Tips on America Recycles Day
‘Tis the season! Holiday cheer, delicious food, connecting with loved ones and…recycling? November 15th is probably not a holiday you’ll see marked on your calendar; however, it is an incredibly important holiday to the Zoo, Tampa Bay, and beyond. It’s America Recycles Day, a Keep America Beautiful initiative!
Here’s how YOU can help make the world more sustainable through a few easy changes:
- Learn what items are accepted by your curbside pickup - not all of them are! (#1-7 plastics typically are accepted.)
- Make sure you rinse any recyclables, so you don’t contaminate the bunch.
- Have a bin in every room to avoid being “too lazy” to recycle!
- Call your local electronic stores to see if they will recycle your old unusable items.
- Recycle water! For example, you can pour the water left over from cooking pasta directly into a flower bed.
- Join an America Recycles Day Celebration! There is one as close as Sarasota County.
Don’t stop there! If you’re already a recycling pro, consider going further and add these sustainable actions to your daily routine:
- Choose to reuse items like water bottles, mugs, bags and straws.
- Begin composting at home. Organic waste is the second largest component found in landfills!
- Repurpose items that you would normally throw away or recycle; for example, glass jars can become excellent storage containers.
- Shop in bulk and avoid food pre-packaged in plastic bags.
From all of us on ZooTampa’s Green Team, Happy America Recycles Day!